Knowledge Test (Written Test)
- The Knowledge test must be taken and passed in order to qualify to take the Skills (drive) test and obtain a Washington State Driver License.
- The Knowledge test consists of 40 multiple-choice questions about traffic safety laws. Applicants must answer at least 32 questions correctly in order to pass the test. Questions from the Knowledge test are derived from the Washington Drive Guide. You may pick up a Drive Guide from your local DOL office or click on this LINK to access an online version.
- Knowledge test scores are valid for 2 years. After 2 years, they will expire and the test must be taken again.
- Payment is required at the time of scheduling. Your license number, which is provided at the time of pre-applying, is required at the time of scheduling.
- Due to scheduling time restraints, an applicant will be allotted 45 minutes to take the Knowledge (Written) Test. After 45 minutes, the test will be stopped by the examiner and graded as is. If an applicant desires more than 45 minutes to complete the Knowledge test, the extra time must be scheduled prior to sitting for the exam.
- Knowledge test scores will be reported electronically to the Department of Licensing within 24 hours of the test being completed.
- Passing the Knowledge test does not guarantee that an applicant will be issued a permit or driver license. The Department of Licensing will determine if an applicant has met all licensing requirements. The Department of Licensing reserves the right to retest applicants who complete tests through Rules of the Road Driving School.
Copyright © 2019 Rules of the Road Driving School